Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese Fix Approved… could it get any better??? So I found this base recipe on the team beach body blog! Super excited because I love me some mac and cheese… well I have this amazing Pork Carnitas recipe totally fix approved….. here is the youtube link for it:
I simply made it without the salad on the side.
Ok so here is the recipe! I am telling you ALL of my kids ate this… I WAS SHOCKED!!!! Seriously, it has peppers and onions and cheese and butternut squash… and they ate EVERY LAST BITE!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Counts as 2 yellow 1/2 green and 1 blue
Total Time: 1 hr. 16 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 61 min.
Yield: 10 servings, about 1½ cups each
1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni you could substitute cooked brown rice, but I have not worked out the measurements yet… it would make an amazing risotto!
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
4 cups cubed butternut squash
1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened nutmilk
2 Tbsp. low-fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Do this while you are boiling your pasta!
4. Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Set aside.
5. While the Peppers and onions are cooking and the pasta is boiling, Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.
6. Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
7. Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses along with fresh chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.
8. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.
9. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Tip: Blend small batches of hot liquids in blender or food processor since they expand during the blending process, therefore decreasing the chance of overflowing.